Tuesday, November 9, 2010

logos: the good, the bad (the ugly)

words and bikes: the good
schwinn, brooklyn bikes, bike to work day, bikeloc, schwinn


So I went a little crazy on the good logo side. I love the shape and look of bicycles, so I looked up some bike logos. The Schwinn logo is simple and striking. The red and black are dramatic and the circular design fits well on bicycle tubes. I love the color and simple design of Brooklyn Bike's logo. The two o's become the wheels of the bicycle and the two different fonts give a nice contrast. The title is aligned nicely with the Brooklyn Bridge image and the bicycle is placed based on the rule-of-thirds. I love the DC bike-to-work day logo. I'm a fan of cityscapes, they are visually appealing and represent the idea of a certain city simply. I love the green of the Bikeloc logo and the two different fonts. And I really like that they kept the logo a square with white font. It stands out. The WordPress logo is nice and simple. I like the serif on the W that extends into the white circle. The spot color on word is also very effective.


i don't like these: the bad
credit union, detroit zoo, the wizards


When I was in college the credit union in town had the worst logo. I couldn't find that particular one, but this one will do. The alignment is all off with the U and the W within their boxes and the shadows seem off to me. The colors are clashy and the colors seem a little bold for a credit union, you'd expect something that went a little bit better with the idea of money, saving, or something else. I have a beef with the Wizards logo, mostly because it looks dumb. When I think of basketball, I don't think of Wizards and the designer here seems like they had the same problem. It just doesn't work to merge those two, but I can see they did the best they can. And lastly, the Detroit Zoo, I like the idea of the elephant head with the D, but it's too heavy, it's not balanced with the rest of the logo. If the elephant head was lighter and a different shade, it would work much better because it wouldn't be as distracting as it is right now. There needs to be some differentiation between the D and the elephant.

2 comments:

  1. It is interesting that you think the Wizards logo is bad! I thought it was much better than the bullets logo (the old logo before they had to make the switch!)

    I agree that the Credit Union logo looks terrible! It looks like a 5th grader may have designed it!!!! Not that 5th graders can't be smart (show)!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the brooklyn bicylces logo. Great use of typeface to illustrate a word or concept. I also like the bike to work day logo. Both are simple yet do an excellent job of conveying a idea.

    ReplyDelete