Tuesday, September 21, 2010

symmetrical & asymmetrical balance

BALANCE
symmetrical

This ad uses horizontal symmetry to create a sense of likeness between all the different objects. Each has to do with music in one way or another. The symmetry of the ad makes it easy on the eyes and the simplicity of it. Each item is one from the life of someone who enjoys music and the product fits right in with the rest of these objects.

BALANCE
asymmetrical


This ad is an example of asymmetrical design that is balanced using contrast instead of similarity: in this case, dark vs. bright. It works because Rachel Ray is wearing casual, not flashy clothes. Her shirt even blends into the chalkboard. But since she is a person, our eyes are drawn to her. The designer balanced her presence with bright white chalkboard writing and the bright orange, large icon of the show.

BALANCE
unstable


I saw this in Harper's and I really liked it so I had to add it. It reminded me a lot of the Milton Glaser portrait of the dancer on p.65 of our textbook. It makes the audience feel uneasy because it lacks stability. The main object (the man) is at the top of the image, and the only thing grounding us is the plants and the structure in the background. The man is in an unnatural position, hanging in the air. As a result, we are waiting for him to fall, which makes us uncomfortable. I love it!

3 comments:

  1. I agree with Katrina- I really liked your symmetrical ad. It communicates a clear message- the differences of the objects (in the same genre) stand out more in a symmetrical grid format. The text is weighted importantly, but not more so than the images that spell out the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the first photo. There is so much going on here but the symmetry really keeps it clean and nice on the eyes. It almost makes me want to take my time to look through each part. I love when the symmetry of the photo can take you through the page on its own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with everyone else. The 1st photo is a great example of symmetry. Although each of the items are different they are similar in shape and size. What type of ad was this? Where did you find this example?

    ReplyDelete